For an idea of what Behold is and how it differs from other genealogy programs, here is the developer’s note on “The Everything Report” (one of the major guiding concepts behind Behold) :
Number one on the list, is to have a single report that contains all your genealogical data. This includes all details about every individual, all source references and repository information, all pictures and descriptions of multimedia and external files, and anything else you have documented. This should be organized logically, so you can find anything easily, with a Table of Contents, and several indexes (a Name Index, Place Index, Source Index, etc.). Everything should be cross referenced to everything else so you can easily find your way around the report. And any one piece of information should only be in one place in the report so as to keep its size down to something manageable.
Full Release Notes/Changes:
(Everything Report: Notes, Objects, Repositories, Sources, File Information; Tags; Forward/Backward Tool )
* New: Get the extended Note tag to work. (Note @nn@)
* New: Finish the Place List of the Everything Report. Rarely found in Genealogy Programs
* Fix: Sorting now works correctly for foreign language characters.
* Impr: Suppress the printing of subordinate info for tags marked not to be printed.
* New: Add a count of tags for the selected people and a count of the hidden tags on the Organize Tags page. Unique Feature – Only in Behold!
* Impr: Add tag definitions at the GEDCOM top level along with their defaults.
* Impr: Add different tag definitions for subtags under the /HEAD tag.
* New: Add the File Information into the Everything Report.
* New: Handle the SCHEMA (custom field) tag.
* New: Implement Notes, Objects, Repositories and Sources in the Everything Report. Unique Feature – Only in Behold!
* New: Subgroup the Notes, Objects, Repositories and Sources by Citation/Subsection. Unique Feature – Only in Behold!
* New: Order the Notes, Objects, Repositories and Sources by the order they are first referenced. Unique Feature – Only in Behold!
* New: Implement a naming/numbering system for Notes, Objects, Repositories and Sources, and their citations/subsections. Unique Feature – Only in Behold!
* New: Add cross reference linking to the Notes, Objects, Repositories and Sources from and to their references.
* New: Implement Forward/Backward Tool Rarely found in Genealogy Programs
* New: Handle references that link back to Individuals or Families.
* New: Use the first line of Notes, Objects, Repositories and Sources as its short description.
* New: Set the short description to “–no description–” if there is none.
* Fix: Make sure the tag counts are correct.
* New: Add Hyperlinking to parents.
* New: Add a link to the main person from the title.
* New: Indicate which Notes, Objects, Repositories and Sources are unreferenced.
* New: Notes and Objects used only once should be put inline where they are referenced rather than in the Notes section. Rarely found in Genealogy Programs
* Fix: Prevent an error from occurring when a family has neither a HUSB nor a WIFE and make that a valid family.
* New: Add and link the entries for the Notes, Objects, Repositories and Sources in the Treeview.
* Impr: Extend the Place List logic to work like the Notes, Objects, Repositories and Sources. Unique Feature – Only in Behold!
* New: Create an “invisible” hyperlink for place names so that one click will take you to the Place Details. Unique Feature – Only in Behold!
* Impr: Create a single new tag for displaying internal ID numbers.
* Impr: Change to better default text for some of the tags.
* New: Display Lines Input and Tags Input on the Tags Page.
* New: Add Checkboxes to Show Used and Show Unused Tags on the Tags Page.
* Fix: Get Auto Organize to use the first person in the file if it cannot figure out the main individuals. Unique Feature – Only in Behold!
* Fix: Make Instant Organize correctly start with the selected person when that person has no spouse and no descendants.
* New: Display Errors on the Everything Report (in addition to in the Input Log).
* New: Show a message on the Everything Report that Behold is ready for input when nothing is loaded.
* Fix: Display Given names correctly when the Surname is not at the end of the name.
Note: This article was originally published on GenealogySoftwareNews.com.