Res Privata – Official Description
Do you share your genealogy data files with others? Do you publish your family tree on the Internet? Do you wish to control the information you share or publish?
If you do then you need Res Private, an easy to use application for filtering private data from your genealogy data (GEDCOM or GED) files.
Using Res Privata, you can filter the details of your original GEDCOM file and create a new file ready for sharing with other genealogists or publishing on the Internet.
|Type:||Genealogy Utility for stripping/removing private information from living individuals in a GEDCOM file.|
|Website:||Removed (archive.org copy)|
|Download:||FHUG Knowledge Base (FHUG.org.uk) (may not be the last official release)|
|License/Cost:||Free for students, private individuals, charities. Small license fee for commercial or corporate use.|
|Launched:||July, 1997 (1.0.0 Alpha 1)|
|Discontinued:||Approximately June 2007 (based on website being removed). Version 2.4.1 (August, 2004) was the last release for Windows 9x. Version 1.0.1 was the last Windows 3.x release.|
|Software Requirements:||Res Privata 2.x: Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP (Long file names supported)|
Res Privata 1.x: Windows 3.1
|File Format and Location:||Works exclusively with GEDCOM files (.GED)|
|Related Software||Has been tested with GEDCOM files created from Brother’s Keeper, EasyTree, Family Tree Maker, and Personal Ancestral File. Output GEDCOM files tested with Brother’s Keeper, EasyTree, Family Tree Maker, Personal Ancestral File, GED2HTML, GED2WWW.|
|GEDCOM Support:||GEDCOM 5.5, and can remove user-defined and non-standard tags and data. Creates a new GEDCOM file when filtering. Supports unlimited number of records in GEDCOM. Detects GEDCOM files created under a Unix environment and converts them to DOS/Windows format. Has a built-in GEDCOM file viewer.|
|External Links:||FHUG Knowledge Base has a copy of some of the information about Res Privata, as well as a download link for what appears to be version 2.2.1|
Features (According to Publisher)
* Automatically removes birth details for living persons.
* Provides an option to replace names of living persons.
* Provides options to remove death details, marriage details, adoption details, notes, source citations and multimedia links.
* Provides comprehensive choices to control exactly what birth, death, marriage and adoption details are removed, including the start year for data removal.
* Removes all references to sensitive information, including unused GEDCOM tags – which provides greater compatibility with dynamic GEDCOM to HTML generators and also helps reduce the size of your GEDCOM files.
* Saves your options so that you don’t have to set them more than once. If you have several GEDCOM files, you can save options for each GEDCOM file. Alternatively, you can save different options for either sharing with close family members or publishing on the Internet.
* Output GEDCOM files can be used with popular genealogy database applications and GEDCOM to HTML generators for publishing on the Internet. Output has been tested with Brother’s Keeper, Family Tree Maker, Gedpage, GED2HTML, GED2WWW and Personal Ancestral File.
This page last updated: December, 2017