As you can see by the entry in the sidebar to the right, the site is undergoing another round of redesigns. This was a “sister” site to GenealogySoftwareNews.com, but is going to take over the functionality of GSN.
If you’d like to help further in this endeavor:
– We are going to be adding forums to the site. If you have information, tips, etc., you can contribute them there (or leave comments on the bottom of the application pages).
– If you come across somebody looking for information about an old application, point them this way.
– If you are a developer of an application or know one (old or new), we would definitely love to hear from you, especially in regards to making your older applications (1990s and earlier) available to those who might need them.
Downloads: We are going to work on making downloads available for the older application we find. We are taking legal and copyright issues into account, and so this will slow us up when it comes to putting these applications up for download (but not the information for the applications or where they can be found). It could prevent some of these applications from being placed online, but we will still try to at least make the contact information for the developer available, if you need an older version.
We are going to concentrate on current applications, and work our way back, in compiling this database (just like doing genealogy work!).
This is the kind of information we are looking for:
– Name of Application:
– Type: (Application, File Utility, Online Converter, Research Tool, etc.)
– Application Homepage:
– Developer’s Contact Information:
– Developer’s Description:
– Cost and availability:
– Demonstration/Trial Version available (link):
– Demonstration site (if it’s an online application):
– Current Version:
– Last Updated:
– What were the last updates:
– Is it in active development, or is it retired/obsolete:
– Hardware and Operating System requirements:
– Space Required:
– Languages Supported:
– Official or Unofficial Forums:
– Are there are any utilities that are made to work directly with this?
– Any reviews available?
– Screenshots available?
– History of this software?
If you would like to contribute any of this information, on *ANY* genealogy application on *ANY* platform/Operating System (we aren’t going to limit ourselves to software from the past five years – somebody, somewhere is looking for an older version), please click on the Contact page or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If there is an application, Such-and-Such version 5.0, and you have information about Such-and-Such version 3.0, we’d love to hear about it.
This isn’t limited to old or new software.